Thursday, March 19, 2015

How to Love a Child That Isn't Yours.....

This is a question I have asked myself a lot, especially lately. I am not going to lie....loving biological children and step-children is different. People told me before I got married that I would learn to love my step-kids as my own, and I knew I could. I knew my heart was big enough and that I was a strong woman that could tackle this challenge.

I have struggled. Really struggled. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my step-kids. They are fun, outgoing, silly kids. BUT....they are not MY kids. I did not feel them move around in my belly when I was big and pregnant. I didn't give birth to them and hold them when they were tiny. I didn't kiss their owies when they were little kids. I didn't bond with them for years and years and years. When Brett and I started dating, his kids were 14, 12, 10, and 8.

I still thought I could just jump right in and love, and that that love would be reciprocated right away. I was wrong. Like any good relationship, love takes time, and work. A lot of work. I have had good days where I feel love like my own, and I have had bad days where I want to run away and not look back----although I KNOW I would regret that fully.

So, as I have struggled with this, I have thought, "How can I love a child that isn't mine?" I have thought. I have prayed. I have pondered and mediated, and I have come to a conclusions. These step-children ARE mine. I may not be their biological mom, and I would never try and take that place in their hearts. They love their mom, and they should! BUT...I am their Step-MOM....so, they belong to me.....now I have to figure out how to love them like a mother does and should.

I am taking baby steps. I am praying for help. I am praying that God will lend me a bit of His love for me to borrow as my heart grows and I learn to love more and deeper. I have decided I need to focus on their good....not their bad. I think this really goes for any relationship really....focus on the good, not the things that drive you nuts, and then you will have a paradigm shift. You will, because I am.

Today I took one of my step-kids to lunch....just the two of us. I have never done anything just the two of us. I was scared that we wouldn't have anything to talk about, or maybe this child wouldn't have fun doing this, but you know what? Over pizza and soda, we had a great chat. There were lots of stories shared, and I made sure to find something that I love about this child and SHARE it with this child. I don't do that enough. I hold back a lot. I hold a lot in. I don't always know where my parenting place lies in our home. It's hard. I struggle. Really struggle. But, with each baby step comes a small victory. It's the small victories that count.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like you and I are going through a lot of the same things. I don't tell anyone besides my family what I am going through. It's been very hard to have relationship with my step kids. One in particular. It's almost impossible. Thank you for your example of praying, persisting, meditating, and never giving up. Those are the things I need in my life to help me with difficult relationships with step kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete